Today I experimented with a muffin recipe by replacing the eggs and part of the oil with a chia/flaxseed mixture. This reduces the fat, makes them vegan-friendly, and adds some fibre and omega-3s. I was very happy with the result! Here is the recipe:
1/4 c all-purpose flour
1/4 c lightly packed brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp chilled salted butter, or vegetable oil
2 cups whole-wheat flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
pinch of salt
3/4 cup water
1 tbsp chia seeds
1 tbsp ground flax meal
1 cup milk (can be substituted with soy or almond milk)
½ c lightly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil or melted butter
½ cup fresh or frozen raspberries and/or blueberries
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Line a muffin tin with paper cups.
2. Mix the water, chia seeds, and ground flax in a small bowl and stir. Set aside. (The mixture should develop a gel-like consistency after about 5 minutes. If not, stir once more and let stand a couple more minutes.)
3. For the crumble, stir ¼ cup of flour with sugar and cinnamon. Work in butter or oil until crumbly. Set aside.
4. For muffins, whisk the whole-wheat flour with baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a bowl. In a separate bowl, mix the chia mixture, milk, sugar and oil. Pour over flour mixture and stir just until the ingredients are moistened (the mixture will be lumpy). Fold in the berries (one or two stirs).
3. Spoon batter into muffin cups then evenly sprinkle with crumble. Bake in the centre of the preheated oven until golden brown anda toothpick inserted in the centre of the muffins comes out clean (about 20-25 minutes). Makes 12 muffins.
Nutrition info: 1 muffin (made with skim milk)
- Calories: 195
- Carbs: 31 g
- Protein: 4.3 g
- Fat: 6 g
- Fibre: 2.7 g